FSCA Weekly Notes
FSCA Staff Weekly Updates
Monday, October 3, 2016
1. Thank you staff for all you contributed to make the celebration for Deron Irving-Bey a success!!! Deron and our entire student body enjoyed themselves. Let us continue to work together to provide more engaging and educational assemblies for our students.
Just want to thank Athletic Director Mr. Tyler for coordinating this event.
2. Congratulations to Mr.Milne on retiring after 18 years of service to the Flint Community Schools! Thank you for your hard work and dedication. Enjoy your retirement!
3. NWEA Testing will continue this week. Thank you Assessment Team for completing all of the logistics and pulling our Assessment Calendar together. Teams, please begin thinking about how best to develop a make-up testing calendar to meet the needs of your students.
4. Teams, continue to emphasize your classroom norms. We will continue to have grade-level orientations this week. We now have Code for Student Conduct books for all of our students. Hallway Groups, continue to work as a team to promote positive culture and climate in our hallways. ALL staff continue to be posted at classroom doors during class change to move students along and greet your students as they enter and exit. Remember the way we start will dictate the way we end. Let’s all stay on point and keep our students on point!
5. Locker/Locks Update: Additional locks are available in a limited quantity. Please let Mr. Lenear know if you still have students that need locks.
6. OFFICIAL STUDENT COUNT DAY IS Wednesday October 5th!
COUNT EVERY STUDENT EVERYDAY!!!!
Daily Student Attendance started on Tuesday, September 6th. I cannot overemphasize the importance of taking attendance every day and every block!
Note: Ms. Marks will provide specific details for Count Day.
7. Office Depot Teacher Supply Order Update: Each teacher received $225 for the 2016-2017 school year. I will continue to approve orders as they are emailed. Please move forward with completing your orders if you have not done so yet. ALL SUPPLY ORDERS SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 4TH.
8. Senior Parent Night will be held on Thursday, October 6th at 5 pm. Let us all continue to remind our Seniors that they are the leaders in the building and should take that responsibility seriously by focusing on their academics and displaying good citizenship.
9. Lesson Plans – As you are developing your daily/weekly lesson plans, be intentional about focusing on student engagement through the use of cognitive engagement strategies (Reference LSI PD information from last year). The type of student engagement focused on will depend upon the Lesson Objective/Learning Target. Lesson plans should include; Standards, Critical Content Objectives/Learning Targets, Cognitive Engagement Strategy/Activity, Launch-Explore-Summary-Reflect; District Lesson Content Components, Graphic Organizers (where appropriate) Formative Assessment and Homework if applicable. Depth of Knowledge (DOK) documents posted on FSCA Staff files are a good resource, as well as collaboration with other staff members. Weekly Lesson Plans are due to your evaluator each Monday by 12 noon. Remember that you have the flexibility this year to transition to the MYP/DP Unit Plan Format for your Lesson Plans. Our building goal is to have all staff use the MYP/DP Unit Plan Format for the 2017-2018 school year.
10. Attention Middle School Teachers, our first Middle School Dance is coming up on Saturday, October 15th from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. Please remind students that they must stay focused on their academics and display good citizenship in order to participate. Students that receive referrals between October 3rd – October 14th will not be allowed to participate. All staff members are encouraged to come out and chaperone the dance.
11. Afterschool Tutoring is now available for all students. Encourage your students to attend, as needed. Also make your parents aware that it is available. Teachers who are providing tutoring should turn in their signed, weekly student sign-in sheets to the Main Office.
12. Our first monthly staff luncheon was a success! Thank you Ms. Miller, Ms. Hernandez and everyone else who helped to make it a Big Hit!
13. We will have our second School Improvement Leadership Team (SILT) Meeting on Tuesday, October 4th at 2:30 pm in the Cafeteria. Mr. Tawwab will be in attendance to share information regarding our SIG Grant. Everyone is welcome to attend.
14. Our first marking period ends on Friday, October 7, 2016. ALL GRADES ARE DUE BY MONDAY, OCTOBER 10TH BY 2 P.M.
15. Parent Conferences/Progress Report Pick Up will be held on Thursday, October 13th from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm. ALL teachers are expected to participate.
Let’s all commit to continuing to work collaboratively as a staff with our students, parents and community to make 2016 – 2017 our best year ever!!!!